The Annual Parish Council meeting was held in the Village Hall, West Burton on Tuesday, 7 July 2020. This meeting had been scheduled for 5 May 2020 but had been delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Present: Miss Jane Ritchie, Ms Beth Daley, Mr Rowland Dent, Mr Andrew Landau and Mrs Sally Sahin Councillors, and Mrs Susan Ryding, Clerk
1. Election of Chairman
Councillor Beth Daley proposed and Councillor Sally Sahin seconded, that Councillor Jane Ritchie should be elected as Chairman, and this was passed unanimously. Councillor Jane Ritchie then signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
2. Risk Assessment for the meeting
A Risk Assessment for the use of the Village Hall for meetings of the Council during the Covid-19 pandemic was considered.
RESOLVED: That the Risk Assessment is approved
There were no apologies, all the members being present.
4. Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest
The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 3 March 2020, having been circulated to all Members, were confirmed as a true copy, and duly signed by the Chairman
6. Clerk’s Report
The Clerk reported on the following matters:
- Plinths at the entrances to the village
- Repair of the flat swings
- Council finances
RESOLVED: That the stone to be used for the new plinths should be the ‘random tumbled’
7. Nomination of Councillors to Committees, Working Groups and other organisations
RESOLVED: That the Council would be represented on committees, groups and other organisations as follows:
- Aysgarth Cemetery Committee – Cllrs Rowland Dent and Sally Sahin
- Upper Dales Health Watch – Cllr Jane Ritchie
- RDC Upper Dales Area Partnership Board – Cllr Jane Ritchie
- Village Hall Committee – Cllr Jane Ritchie
- Emergency Working Group – Cllr Andrew Landau
- YLCA – Cllr Beth Daley and the Clerk, Sue Ryding
- Fundraising Group – Cllrs Jane Ritchie and Sally Sahin and the Clerk, Sue Ryding
- Rights of Way working group – Cllrs Jane Ritchie and Beth Daley and the Clerk, Sue Ryding
8. Trustees of West Burton Charity
The Council considered nominations for trustees for the West Burton Charity
RESOLVED: That Councillor Jane Ritchie and Mrs Gail Dent should remain as trustees
9. Internal scrutiny of the Council’s finances
RESOLVED: That Councillors Andrew Landau and Beth Daley are appointed to scrutinise the Council’s finances.
10. Internal Audit Report
The Internal Audit Report from Mrs Pauline Beckett was considered, having been circulated before the meeting. The Council also considered an invoice from Mrs Beckett for £20.00
RESOLVED: That the comments are duly noted and that a cheque for £20.00 should be duly signed
11. Annual Return
The Annual Return and accompanying documents were examined following the Internal Audit carried out on 11 June 2020.
RESOLVED: That the Annual Return, and accompanying documents should be accepted and adopted, and that the Annual Return should be completed as follows:
- Certificate of exemption
- Section 1 – Annual governance statement 2019/20
- Bank reconciliation as at 31 March 2020
- Explanation of significant variations for the year ending 31 March 2020
- Section 2 – Accounting statements 2019/20
12. Code of Conduct for Councillors
A consultation request on the draft Model Member Code of Conduct was considered and the survey completed.
RESOLVED: That the completed survey should be forwarded to the National Association of Local Councils
13. Vacancy at Cavey Garth
Councillors considered an email from Sanctuary Housing with details of two bidders for the vacant property at Cavey Garth.
RESOLVED: That Sanctuary Housing should be informed that the Council felt that Ruth Boddy has the stronger local link and is recommended for the vacancy
14. Removal of laybys on the A684
Councillors considered proposals from North Yorkshire County Council for the removal of laybys on the A684 under the Safer Roads Scheme.
RESOLVED: That the Clerk should complete and return the survey, with a copy to Councillor Yvonne Peacock, saying that the Council felt there was insufficient information as to exactly which laybys are to be removed, but that most of them should remain, to alleviate parking congestion in other areas. In particularly, the layby near the Aysgarth Surgery should remain, as should the layby alongside the AA Box. However, the Council supported the removal of laybys where access in and out was considered to be a hazard.
15. Safety measures for re-opening the play area on the Village Green
The Council considered the practical measures that could be taken during the Covid-19 pandemic for the safe re-opening of play area. Councillor Beth Daley reported that she had placed temporary safety signage on the equipment pending the meeting.
RESOLVED: That the signage is approved and should remain and that Councillor Daley is thanked for this initiative
16. Complaint about congestion on the Front Nook
Councillors considered a complaint received about vehicles parking on the Front Nook and causing congestion when larger vehicles were trying to get through.
RESOLVED: That the Clerk should contact the owners of the vehicles and ask them to park more considerately
Cheques for the following invoices had been signed earlier.
- J W Alderson & Sons – £60.00 (VAT £9.99)
- West Burton Village Hall – £15.00
18. Notice of meetings and reports of meeting attended
Councillors noted the dates of future meetings and reports of meeting attended.
19. Items for the next agenda
RESOLVED: That in addition to any matters mentioned above, there are no additional items that should be brought forward to the next agenda. Councillors also resolved that the next meeting should be held on 6 October unless circumstances required another meeting sooner.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.50 pm
Date of the next meeting, Tuesday, 6 October at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall.
Chairman: J O Ritchie
Date: 6 October 2020